Friday, August 17, 2007

Of birthdays and balloons

Went to a kiddies birthday party last night..I was compelled to..the birthday girl being my 5 year old neighbour who had been informing me since a week that her bday was coming up..Needless to say that I felt out of place..the other invitees being roughly as high as my knee..But it was fun enough. Brought back memories of the scores of such parties i attended as a kid..it used to be quite an event in our social lives then.
Dressing up in your best, finally getting a bit of that red lipstick your mom wouldnt let you touch, hanky pinned safely to chest to look after runny noses..singing happy bday with gusto (until the part where you name the bday boy/girl where everyone got self-conscious and fumbled and went a little out of tune.) An uncle bursting the baloons above the lucky boy/girl's head with an 'agarbathi' to much applause. Then you made a bee-line for the plates being passed around. A slice of cake, potato wafers, some 'chivda' , a Maharashtrian dry snack much like our chanachur and a glass of the inevitable Rasna. Why a soggy-looking banana had to be a part of this otherwise nice feast is something I couldnt fathom..
The embarassed bit about the bday song still happens. The snacks are minus the banana now (thankfully) and coke has replaced Rasna. The gifts are more innovative. I saw a 3-year-old sidle in and present a pack of Maggi to my delighted neighbour.The high point of the party, for me, was listening to some long-forgotten nursery rhymes..here's one I particularly like..
Hot cross buns, hot cross buns,
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot cross buns..
If you have a daughter, give it to your sons..............(er..ok..)
One a penny, two a penny,
Hot cross buns!

No comments:

Post a Comment